Burger Cake!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016


Hi everyone, most of you may know that one of my biggest passions includes baking. I started baking as a little girl, my biggest inspiration was my mom. She would always make our cakes for our birthdays and I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I remember watching her as she took her time with each cake spending 6 hours at a time in the kitchen. At 8 years old I got my very own Easy Bake Oven and that's when I became a baker. 


Click on "read more" to see the rest!


This past weekend was my friends JD's and Josh's birthday. I was asked by another friend PJ, to make their birthday cake. I quickly said yes because I have been itching to make a cake for months. With planning a wedding and school I had not baked a cake since my engagement party. Click here  to see the cake I made. I asked my friend if there was a particular theme, he said no and that I was free to make what I wanted. I quickly turned to Pinterest for an idea and decided on a burger cake.
I started off with baking two 8" yellow cakes.

I baked both cakes together for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I normally do not like baking cakes together but because of time constraint I decided to bake both together anyways. 
While the cakes where in the oven I was thinking of what else I could bake. Once I start baking it is hard to stop me. I wanted to make french fries to go around the cake. I did not have any sugar cookie mix but I did have peanut butter mix. Fries looked a little crispy but I really wanted those cookie fries around the cake.
After the yellow cakes where finished, I popped my patty (chocolate) cake into the oven.
After the yellow cakes cooled off, I crumb coated both cakes. Why do I crumb coat? Crumb coating is a very thin layer of icing that will "glue" any crumbs down.  This holds in all the lose crumbs and makes for a cleaner looking cake. After I crumb coat I put it back in the fridge to chill for about 15 minutes. Lastly, I put another coat of icing, this one is thicker then the crumb coat and helps the fondant stick to the cake.


I used Wilton Preferred Fondant it is a lot cheaper at the grocery story. I try to make my own but since this cake was pretty short notice I did not have the time. I cut the fondant in 4's and dyed it with Wilton's ready to use food coloring brown. This part can get really messy! Once I got to the perfect bun color I rolled out the fondant to the size I wanted. Make sure to always roll out fondant bigger then your cakes.
A lot of my baking equipment is still back at my mom's house so I had to use my rice cooker spoon to smooth out the top and sides. It was not as perfect as I wanted it but it did not have to be.

I placed the first patty on top of my cake.

I dyed the fondant cheese orange for the cheese, green for the lettuce and red for the tomatoes. I enjoyed placing my topping on the burger and it was really starting to come together.

I really wanted to use my new blow torch to melt the cheese and make it look even more real but could not figure out how to use it! I was so bummed, next time I will use it for sure and make sure Adrian shows me how to use it. I added the top bun and wanted the deeper brown look. I grabbed my paint brush and brown paint with water and went to work. I finally got the nice toasty look I wanted. Lastly, I added sesame seeds which is really small pieces of white fondant.


My favorite comment from the party: 
"Is that real cheese?"


No comments :

Post a Comment